This was my second attempt at setting up Jekyll and after a few hours from start to finish I was done.
I managed to get it working durring attempt one but decided to delete everything and start from scratch to make sure I understood what I did.
Here are my steps and setup:
Note: I set this up using a VM on a Windows machine. To do this I had to setup port forwarding (I used port 4000 to 4000) and set the host when building and starting the local dev server.
First, I create a git repo, go to it and look inside.
Then I created a Gemfile because there wasn’t anything in the directory.
In the Gemfile I added the following lines to get the needed gem.
Then install the gem and its dependencies.
Then create a new Jekyll site.
This build replaces the Gemfile. You have to open it and comment out the
"jekyll", "3.2.1" line and uncomment the
gem "github-pages", group :jekyll_plugins line.
After you update the Gemfile you need to bundle update to update your Gemfile.lock.
After this I added my Github origin. I had already created a new Github repo. For User pages to work you need to follow the instructions. Basically you need to make sure the report name is your
Check your status and add all files, commit then push.
Open a browser and go to
boykoc.github.io and BAM, new site.
Then to build and start locally run
bundle exec jekyll serve --host 0.0.0.0. Again, I’m setting the host to work with virtual box. Those familiur with Rails will notice the similarities.
The css is a bit messed up because the domain is wrong in the _config.yml. You can remove the example url and it’ll work nicely.
At this point I created a base-build branch for fun and reference.